People love birthdays, especially their own. Birthdays offer wonderful moments for recognizing the folks we love, as we bestow special greetings and gifts on them. This year, as my birthday nears, I have thought a lot about the special greetings and gifts I receive daily from everyone around me. I am truly blessed. I don’t need one designated day to realize the love that surrounds me. I feel it all the time. But not everyone does. There are a lot of people who go days without being smiled at... Without feeling the warmth of a hug or just someone’s touch… Without knowing what it is like to feel special, even for one minute. Running around Lake Eola each morning, I see how much it means when I smile and say “good morning” to someone wearily sitting on the bench. I see the surprise felt when they are acknowledged…. That someone saw them and said hello. It’s terrible that they don’t feel that a million times each day like so many of us.

I’ve been asked by several close friends what my birthday plans are this year. And honestly, I hadn’t given it much thought at that point. But after this morning’s run, I now know how I will be spending next Sunday. I will perform a Random Act of Kindness for every year of my life thus far. Since several people have asked what I’d like for my birthday, I have decided that I would like to ask each of you to do ONE Random Act of Kindness and share it with me. I’d love to hear about it throughout the day if you are up for sharing. If you are feeling festive and in the mood to share, I would be honored if you would leave a comment/email/text me describing something you kindly and unexpectedly did for someone else. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if 32 of you did this? What if even MORE did?? Please consider it. It would honestly be the best birthday present I could receive! I'll post all comments I receive here on this blog. Photos are certainly welcome.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Not sure WHAT to do? Here are some ideas...

  1. Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
  2. Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
  3. Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
  4. Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
  5. Buy a coffee for the person behind you at Starbucks.
  6. Cut your neighbor’s grass.
  7. Walk your friend’s dog.
  8. Give a compliment about your waiter/waitress to his/her manager.
  9. Send someone a small gift anonymously.
  10. Stop and help someone replace their flat tire.
  11. Let someone jump the in front of you in the grocery store line.
  12. Pay for the drinks on the next table at the restaurant.
  13. Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
  14. Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
  15. Hold the door open for someone rushing to get in.
  16. Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
  17. Smile at everyone you pass all day long.
  18. Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
  19. Pick up some trash in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
  20. Compliment someone (genuine compliment).
  21. Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
  22. Give another driver your parking spot.
  23. Make cookies for a neighbor just because.
  24. Help an elderly neighbour carry the trash out.
  25. Hug someone.
  26. Collect all of the shopping carts in the parking lot and bring them back to the store.
  27. Bring blankets or jackets to a nearby homeless shelter - winter is around the corner!
  28. Donate to a great cause.
  29. Volunteer your time to a local charity.
  30. Read to your children their favorite books without looking at your watch.
  31. Bake cupcakes and bring them to church for all of the volunteers in the childcare area.
  32. Call your mom/dad/grandmother - just to hear how their week was.
Hope some of these ideas help!  There are millions of ways to do this... let's get creative!

1 comment:

  1. Ok....I did it Chris. I was more positive today than I have ever been. I did extra things for my kids today at church. I gave more hugs than normal. I opened the door for an elderly lady and for a guy that was on crutches. I said good morning to everyone I came into contact with at church this morning. I went and did something my Daddy wanted me to do that I did not want to do. I just hope I made a difference in someone's life today in your honor. I also passed this along and had others doing the same.

    ReplyDelete